DiscoverLab provides an Internet-based service for the science and engineering education community
through which students anywhere can access, control, and gather new data from laboratory experimental
setups at remote locations.
DiscoverLab will provide over 500 advanced student lab setups through 100 Topical Group Web Centers
within 5 years, beginning in 2004, with a milestone of 240 setups through 80 Topical Group Web Centers
within 3 years.
DiscoverLab will significantly improve global access to advanced laboratory science education and
enrich the personal research experience of each student by providing a reliable infrastructure and
the educational tools and resources necessary for top-level scientific research.
- DiscoverLab offers a fundamentally new framework in education technology;
- DiscoverLab's WWSL Project fits into
Federal programs involving the development of education technology (e.g.,
NSF Education Programs, DOE Science Education and National Collaboratory Programs, NASA Education
Program, NIST Adaptive Learning Systems, and DOD University Access
- DiscoverLab integrates real time experimentation into the learning experience;
- DiscoverLab benefits economically those educational institutions that provide the equipment and
facilities necessary to fulfill remote experiments;
- DiscoverLab benefits those educational institutions that do not have budgets or facilities to
conduct lab experiments critical to their curriculum by providing access to such
experiments using WWSL;
- DiscoverLab provides an additional market for participating companies;
- DiscoverLab is prepared to integrate over 35 educational institutions around the world that are
currently developing remote-access labs and are technologically ready to be
incorporated into the WWSL infrastructure.